- You can apply for visa online via ETA website
- e-Visa gets ready just within couple of days
- On-arrival visa is another alternative
- Visa fee is $20 for SAARC members and $35 for others
- Visa extension can be done from the Department of Immigration in Colombo
- Call 1919 or 1962 (toll-free) or +94 11 5 329000 for any info
No more impatience and long waiting for your visas! Plan your trip to Sri Lanka today and you will be there just within few days.
How to apply for a Sri Lankan Visa?
Your visa is a click away. Now you can fill the online visa application form by visiting ETA online visa website. There are no specific visa requirements or any specific documents that you need to submit. Fill up the form with given instructions and pay your debit or credit card. After submission, within 24 to 48 hours your e-visa arrives via an email. You can also check the status of your submitted visa application form.
Is it possible to get visa On-Arrival in Sri Lanka?
Yes, it is an alternative although it is recommended to get it through ETA in advance to avoid long queues on arrival.
Next, how to pay for on-arrival visas? For that make sure you have either sufficient Sri Lankan Rupees/ USD in cash or a credit/ debit card. You will find the ATMs only after the baggage claim area. Therefore we recommend you to have the required cash in hand.
Who can have on-arrival visa facility for 6 months?
Citizens from below countries can have free on-arrival visa facility, for a 6-month stay in Sri Lanka:
- South Korea
- United Kingdom
- New Zealand
- Member states of the European Union
How much would it cost to get Sri Lankan visa?
- Visa for tourists from SAARC Countries* – US$ 20
- For tourists of all the other countries – US$ 35
*Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Nepal, the Maldives, Pakistan
- Maldives, Seychells, Singapore citizens can obtain on arrival visa free of charge.
- Citizens of Cameroon, Republic of the Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Cote d’Ivoire, Egypt, Gabon, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Liberia, Mali, Nigeria, Pakistan, Sierra Leone, Sudan, Syria and Uganda are required to obtain a visa in advance from Sri Lankan diplomatic missions.
For how long is the visa valid?
Sri Lankan tourist visa remains valid for 30 days from the entry date. You need to enter the country within 180 days from the issue date or otherwise the visa will be expired. It is a double entry visa. This means you can exit Sri Lanka and come back one more time within the 30 day period.
How to extend Sri Lankan Visa?
You always have the option to get your tourist visa extended for additional 60 days (altogether 90 days. i.e. 30 days initial visa and 60 days extension). What if your temptation to stay in Sri Lanka continues even after that? Still you are welcome to extend it second time, subject to the approval of the Department of Immigration.
From where to do the visa extension?
Visa extensions cannot be done online and you need to visit the Department of Immigration in Colombo. Yes, unfortunately visa extension can get done only from Colombo.
How to go to the Sri Lankan Immigration office?
“Suhurupaya”, Subuthi Dr,
- Telephone number:
+94 11 5 329000
Check the location here.The office is relocated to the above address recently. Make sure you go to ‘Battaramulla’, not to ‘Ananda Rajakaruna Mawatha’.
You can easily take a bus or hire a tuk-tuk. If you are taking a bus from the Colombo central bus station, get into the bus with the route number 170,171 or 190. Let the bus conductor or the tuk-tuk driver know you need to get down at ‘Passport Office’. Yes, immigration office is well known among locals as passport office. If you say immigration office to a tuk-tuk driver, he might take you around the Colombo to all government offices without exactly knowing what you are referring to.
What are the working hours of Sri Lankan Immigration office?
8.30AM is the office open time and you can submitted visa extension applications only till 2.00PM.
Documents required for Sri Lankan visa extension:
- Filled visa extension application form.
You can get a form from the office as well, but it saves time if you take the filled up form
- Passport size color photograph
- Return air ticket (30 day return air ticket would suffice)
- Contact details of the place of accommodation (address and phone number)
Even if you don’t have a photograph, visit one of those studios close by the office and you can get an instant photo print.
Officers normally do not pay much attention to the return ticket. But, better to have it with you avoid any inconveniences; because officially it is a required document in visa extensions.
The whole process could take up to 2-3 hours in the Department of Immigration. So better to be there as early as possible in the morning to avoid long queues and waiting.
How much is the Sri Lankan visa extension fee?
Extension fee is based on your nationality and check this country list.
For more details and clarifications, you can call toll-free numbers 1919 (Government Information Center) or 1962 (Department of Immigration).
Sri Lanka warmly welcomes you to the land of paradise!