Little bit about Whale & Dolphin Watching in Kalpitiya
November to April is the best time to plan a vacation if you are looking to go whale and dolphin watching. Kalpitiya is known as the best place to go dolphin watching, down south is better for whale watching. A four and a half hour drive would take you to Kalpitiya from the city of Colombo.
Dolphin watching is the best when going on group vacations, Kalpitiya is known for its beaches and boats. These boat rides are much fun, they pass through mini-islands of rich forests on the way to Portugal bay. The deep sea waves are an experience you wouldn’t want to miss. Dolphins are considered as the smartest animals because of their extremely social nature. A thousand dolphins could be spotted while on the boat tour, sometimes, even whales are spotted during these seasons. Dolphins avoid breeze and winds in the sea, this is why its better to check the season before planning on the trip. The dolphin watching boat tour lasts for around 4-5 hours, because the boat takes you a few kilometers off the shore. Different boats host different number of passengers, in order to get a proper and a safe ride, its best to get tour guide advice or book the tickets from the resort you are accommodating at. Kalpitiya offers many tour guides as well as resorts which help you book and enjoy a good tour. As well as the dolphin watching, whale watching is also offered in this particular city of Sri Lanka.
Things to know before you go
- Boats normally depart at 6AM and return back around 9 - 10AM. Generally it is a 3+ hours journey
- Minimum age of kids is 4 years old
- Travelers who get sea sick need to take precautions prior to boarding the boat
- If you have any medical condition, make sure that you are fit for the journey
- Boat ride prices generally starting around LKR 4,000 per person (prices vary based on the condition of the boat and the number of passengers)
- Boat ticket price includes water and snacks, life jackets, first aid for seasick and a free insurance coverage
- Generally, kids below 6 are free of charge and kids from 6 - 12 kids are charged half the price
Photo Credit: Deshaka Gunawardana