Little bit about Whale & Dolphin Watching in Trincomalee
Trincomalee is rapidly developing its interest in following the trend. Whale watching and dolphin watching interests most of the tourists as well as locals. The boat ride to the several km deep into the ocean itself is a great experience to achieve. Blue whales, sperm whales spinner dolphins and several other dolphins and whales could be spotted in these boat rides. The whales migrate around the island from the south coast and congregate during December to April. Sri Lanka offers continuous whale watching opportunities throughout the year, in most different destinations.
The boat rides depart from Nilaveli Diving Centre in Trincomalee, the ride lasts for 3 to 4 hours. Sighting depends, most of the time, visitors are able to spot the dolphins and whales, but sometimes, they miss out.
Things to know before you go
- Boats normally depart at 6AM and return back around 9 - 10AM. Generally it is a 3+ hours journey
- Minimum age of kids is 4 years old
- Travelers who get sea sick need to take precautions prior to boarding the boat
- If you have any medical condition, make sure that you are fit for the journey
- Boat ride prices generally starting around LKR 4,000 per person (prices vary based on the condition of the boat and the number of passengers)
- Boat ticket price includes water and snacks, life jackets, first aid for seasick and a free insurance coverage
- Generally, kids below 6 are free of charge and kids from 6 - 12 kids are charged half the price
Photo Credit: Saumya Wanniarachchi
Other places you could visit in Trincomalee
Beach・Water Sports・Snorkeling・Scuba Diving
History & Culture
Kanniya hot water springs