Little bit about Lakvijaya Power Station (Norachchole)
On your way to Kalpitiya, from about 18 KMs from the Palaviya junction, you can see the Sri Lanka’s largest power station – Lakvijaya(Victorious Lanka) power plant, locally well known as Norachchole power station.
Power generation is fully done using coal.
It is about a 45 minutes drive from the power plant to Kalpitiya. Most visitors traveling to Kalpitiya, do not forget to spend few minutes near the power plant and take a picture of the iconic building, which is there in the Sri Lanka 100 rupee note.
Permission to visit Lakvijaya Power Plant
It is required have prior permission to visit inside the power station. A request letter to submitted addressing to Deputy General Manager, at least two weeks prior to the visit with below details:
- Date of the visit
- of participants
- If school children, list of teachers/parents
- NIC numbers of all participants
- Contact telephone number & fax number of party requesting the visit
- Address of party requesting the visit
+094322268978 is the contact number of the Lakvijaya power plant for more details to arrange a visit.
If you just want to roam around the power plant, you just need to give your identification details to the security office at the entrance.
How to reach Lakvijaya Power Plant
- Colombo – Negomobo – Chillaw – Palaviya (Colombo - Puttalam A3 Highway)
- Take a left turn from Palaviya junction to Kalpitiya road
- Then about 20 KMs in Kalpitiya road
Other places you could visit in Kalpitiya
History & Culture
Thalawila St. Anne’s Church
Architecture・History & Culture
Kalpitiya Dutch Fort
Whale & Dolphin Watching in Kalpitiya
Kitesurfing in Kalpitiya
and 2 people reviewed this