Little bit about Great Western
- Colombo > Hatton > Great Western
Located in the wintry Nuwara Eliya district, Great Western is the seventh tallest mountain peak of Sri Lanka. The lush green mountain stands in an elevation of 2,212 meters in a breath-taking stretch of 1 KM which can be climbed from both ends.
Once you reach the summit there are some open cliffs that you can take awesome pictures of you with the Great Western range in the background. From there you will see stunning views of the ranges, villages, and railways too. A hike to Great Western will undoubtedly be a memorable experience for travelers who enjoy and feel the nature.
Things to know before you go
- Get a local guide for the hike.
- Start the hike early since there are leopards in the area.
- Wear suitably in order to avoid bruises caused by thorny shrubs.
- Do not litter or make noise in the surrounding.
- Note that it might be extremely cold at night there.
Other places you could visit in Nuwara Eliya
Hiking・Nature & Wildlife・Sightseeing・Waterfalls
Hiking・Nature & Wildlife・Waterfalls