Little bit about Ambewela Farms
The farms covers over 1,500 acres of green grassy lands spreading as far as the eye can see. The brown/black and white cows and goats are bred here and they are twice the size of the average cows and goats in Sri Lanka. There are two farms in the area: Ambewela farm and New Zealand farm (also taken care by the Ambewela farm).
Ambewela farm set up by the British in 1940s still has the little English styled cottages. The weather and environment looks totally alien to Sri Lanka and you will be amused to walk on the meadows. Visitors are only allowed inside the New Zealand farm and in the afternoons you can watch how the cows are milked using more modernized techniques.
Things to know before you go
- Do not forget to taste fresh dairy products
- Ideal for kids as an educational visit
- Always keep a safe distance from animals
- Do not tease animals
- Do not enter restricted areas
- Do not make noise playing musical instruments, radios, tape recorders and singing etc.
Photo Credit: Dasun Wickramaarachchi
Other places you could visit in Nuwara Eliya
Hiking・Nature & Wildlife・Sightseeing・Waterfalls
Hiking・Nature & Wildlife・Waterfalls